Saturday, February 26, 2011

Stopping to smell the roses

I don't know about most of you, but my day usually starts early.  Matter fact much earlier than I like but I'm one of those up with the chickens and to bed with the chickens kind of gal.  After shutting off the annoying alarm clock I slowly and painfully climb out of my bed with thoughts of the day's actitivies rapidly moving thru my brain.  Setting into our morning routine I remember my Aunt Liz is having surgery today and I quickly whisper a prayer for her to be watched over. 

I adore my family.  We may fight like cats and dogs amongst ourselves, but that's ok, we can do that.  No one else can, but we can.  Get Aaron off to school and I remember I have to go an official ceremony this morning so off to the shower I go, grabbing my cigarettes and coffee on my way up the stairs.  I get all dressed and ready because today is pretty special and I want to look nice and off I go with the hubby.  Driving across Wheeler to Schofield I'm once again struck by the beauty of Hawai'i.  I seen a lady walking her baby in the stroller, birds playing in the grass as we drove by the Chapel.  I could hear the music playing outside of HHC as the soldiers were setting up for the ceremonies on Sill Field as vendors hustled quickly close by to start off their morning.  As we pulled up to Sgt Smith Theater the warmth of smiles reached me before the cries of hello and I thought to myself....this is the real beauty of life. 

I kissed and hugged my husband goodbye and wished him well as he left to start his day in classes and I proceeded into the theater.  I love the sight of all the service members dressed so sharp and crisp in their Class B's and family members with looks of excitement and pride shining so bright.  As the morning progressed I took in each and every word each speaker contributed and was deeply humbled by everyones genuine desire and respect of the other.  Like a sponge I soaked in every message and was empowered to take charge!  What an amazing morning and I was happy to share in such an experience. 

Later throughout the day I had the best conversation with my mom and was again reminded of her infinite wisdom and never ending love and kindness.  Each passing year as I grow older my admiration grows for this woman I proudly call Mother.  Oh to aspire to be such a soul.  Part of what drives me now is that one day not to make up for any heartache caused in the past, but to reach a level of such a great lady as the example that never gave up on me. 

The evening only grew better as we visited with a friend from Ft. Bragg, whispered with my girlfriend who made me secretly smile as she told her joys of R and R.  My thoughts are with another as well as I think of their family and paths they now find themselves on and all the day long the thought kept running thru my mind of how happy I felt.  I was actually smelling the roses and for once they smelled beautiful. 

No comments: